Do you want your high school diploma, a better job or increased independence? Do you struggle with computer skills, math, understanding what you read, filling in documents, time management or problem solving? Do you want to upgrade these skills?
With the Skills Upgrading Program you can:
Improve your academic skills to get ready for high school credits
Increase your employment opportunities
Achieve greater independence
The Learning Centres offer:
Welcoming, safe and friendly classrooms
Individual learning plans
Computers in all classrooms
Transportation assistance to eligible participants
Daytime and evening classes
Part time and full time
Call or come in for your free skills assessment.
Literacy and Essential Skills Program FAQs
How can I register for the Literacy Program?
Drop in or call
the Learning Centre nearest you.
What are the program hours?
Day classes: Monday to Friday, 9:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Night classes September - June (Barrie): Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6 to 9 p.m.
Additional Program Offerings: You Matter Workshops
In addition to our core Literacy and Essential Skills Program we also offer skills based programs to help students prepare themselves for the job market. These workshops are facilitated online with participant engagement, discussion and practice.
To register for any of the program below contact Alison Smith at the Barrie Learning Center
705-725-8360 x 45131
Personality Dimensions© Matters
- Discover more about your personal values, strengths, and behaviours
- Explore your aptitudes for work or career choices
|February 2 & 4||5:30-8:30pm|
Soft Skills Solutions© Matters
Gain confidence in the following:
- Personal Management
- Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
- Professional Development
Healthy Minds Matters
- Identify how mental wellness impacts your day to day life
- Explore strategies to reduce stress and focus better
- Learn what self-care means and why it is important for you
- Explore effective strategies to reduce stress, focus better and feel stronger
- Boost your self-confidence and self esteem
- Computer basics – overview of basic functions
- Internet basics – browsers and searching
- Creating emails and attaching files
- Introduction to online meeting platforms and learning online
- Editing documents such as resumes and covers letters